VP of Advocacy and Equity
Company: Planned Parenthood Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Administration - Community Government and Engagement / As the VP
of Advocacy & Equity you will get the chance to advance Planned
Parenthood of Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley's mission through a
strategic implementation of electoral and advocacy activities that
promote policies favorable to Planned Parenthood at all levels of
government. Create and lead the vision and strategy for community
affairs, government affairs, and advocacy work. This exciting
opportunity will also lead the organization's diversity, equity and
inclusion (DEI) initiatives, focused on partnerships for health
equity in the community and working in close partnership with the
Human Resources department on internal DEI initiatives. The ideal
candidate will be passionate about PPPSGV's mission, adaptable in a
rapidly changing environment, detail oriented and be able to
communicate clearly and effectively. If you are highly
self-motivated, driven by our mission, and able to build strong,
collaborative relationships across all levels of the organization,
apply now! What we're looking for:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of executive leadership experience.
- 8+ years of experience working with government officials and
- 3+ years of experience leading Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Experience in building and delivering impactful strategies for
- Has strong relationships with local government officials and
community stakeholders in the Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley
- Experience working closely with and providing direction to a
board of directors.
- Must understand and be prepared to comply with differences
between 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 allowable activities and reporting
- Experience in successful political organizing, campaigning,
coalition building, and legislative affairs preferred. In this
role, you'll get to:
- Government and Community Engagement (501(c)3)
- Public Affairs Strategy: Identify and implement a public
affairs strategy that includes public policy, communications, and
grassroots advocacy. Publicly speak and serve as PPPSGV
spokesperson with external stakeholders.
- Legislation Initiatives: Identify innovative legislative and
advocacy initiatives for PPPSGV and implement them strategically,
including all impacted parties, both internally and
- Monitoring Legislation: Oversee the monitoring and response to
federal, state, county and local issues and legislation that
impacts reproductive health care in conjunction with Planned
Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), Planned Parenthood
Affiliates of California (PPAC), and other local entities.
- Cultivating Partnerships: Develop, maintain and advance
relationships with elected officials and legislative staff. Educate
and lobbyists and elected officials on issues impacting PPPSGV on
the local, state and national level.
- Public Policy: Oversee all projects and programs to protect and
advance PPPSGV's public policy efforts. Communicate public policy
ideas and information and collaborate regularly with PPPSGV staff,
other California affiliates, PPAC, and PPFA.
- Community Outreach: Oversight of PPPSGV's robust volunteer
program and establish meaningful relationships with community
- Board Engagement: Collaborate with CEO on board development
efforts for PPPSGV's 501c3 board. Participate in various board
committees including but not limited to, the Culture Change and
- Advocacy and Electoral Work (501(c)4)
- Advocacy: Serve as the Executive Director for Planned
Parenthood Advocates of Pasadena & San Gabriel Valley (PP
Advocates) 501(c)4 organization. Responsible for achieving agency's
electoral and advocacy strategic goals.
- Vision & Strategy: Build and deliver on a vision for PP
Advocates' advocacy work across all levels of government (local,
state, and federal) to ensure that PP Advocates remains a powerful
- Board Management: Cultivate and lead a diverse 501(c)4 board of
directors that is driving the vision and strategy of PP Advocates'
- Stakeholder Engagement: Cultivate and maintain strong
partnerships with community members and political leaders to garner
support for our policy efforts.
- Crisis Management: Develop a rapid-response strategy for
political events that impact our work.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Institutionalize DEI: Under the vision of the CEO and in
partnership with the Leadership Team, lead the strategy to ensure
PPPSGV's commitment to DEI with focus on being an anti-racist
organization within our affiliate and within the communities we
- Program Management: Advance external and internal initiatives
to cultivate an environment with all partners, stakeholders and
employees where diversity is valued, great ideas are recognized,
and the fair and respectful treatment of everyone is a core
- Diverse & Inclusive Culture: Collaborate with HR to infuse DEI
strategies into all aspects of the affiliate, to ensure that our
programs and our workforce reflect and support our diverse
- Cross-functional Support: Educate, consult, and influence all
leaders and teams across PPPSGV to drive design and delivery of
inclusive messaging, organizational systems, policies and
procedures, and people processes.
- External Engagement: Collaborate with organizational leaders to
connect PPPSGV's internal DEI work with the board, volunteer, and
cross movement work; monitor external best practices and make
recommendations to support the development of PPPSGV as a leader in
the diversity and inclusion space.
- Across all Functions:
- Strategic Planning: Lead the team and board members in creating
and implementing a strategic plan to guide this mission driven
- Budget Development: In collaboration with team members and
stakeholders, develop and maintain a budget that aligns with the
strategic plan and focuses on the vision of the department.
- Leadership: Serve as a member of the Leadership Team;
responsible for sharing the vision and work of the team across the
affiliate, with PPPSGV boards and throughout the community.
- Management: Lead the team in implementing the strategic plan,
and lend support and direction to ensure direct reports realize
their full potential and growth trajectory within the
Keywords: Planned Parenthood Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley, Altadena , VP of Advocacy and Equity, Executive , Altadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!